Time Bomb Town - Epilogue

Carter Vance sat down across from Jack Turner. Turner was under special guard in solitary at the Twin Towers in downtown Los Angeles. He was in his blue jumpsuit and manacled hand and foot.

Turner smiled wryly at Vance. “Nice to see you, Carter.”

“I'm surprised you're still alive.”

“Protective Custody. I'm sure Midas is trying to arrange something, though.”

“Nice man, your boss.”

Turner laughed ruefully. “Where have you been? I haven't seen you since Midas...blew town...thought you'd be handling me personally.”

“Wasn't my call,” said Carter.

“Ah.”

Carter reached into his suit jacket pocket and took something out. “Here's the deal. The D.A. isn't satisfied with the information you've offered so far. Hasn't been substantive and frankly we don't know if it's trustworthy, Jack.”

Turner shrugged. “Not much else I can do, Carter.”

Carter put a flash drive down on the table. It was the IronKey. Turner started in recognition, but contained his reaction.

“My boys thought you stole this from me. But I've never seen it before.”

“Neither have I.”

“Funny. Wyatt told me he took it out of your pocket.”

“That is funny.”

Carter picked it up. “The IronKey is a badass piece of spy tech. And we really want to see what's on here, Jack.”

“Why don't you just have them crack it?” Jack smiled at Carter.

“Because as you know, three mistakes and the drive fries.”

“Tough break.”

“If you give us the password, we'll know we can trust your information and we'll put you in witness protection.”

Jack smiled and looked down at the drive. Then back up at Carter.

“Wish I could help you, man. I guess whatever is on that drive will just have to remain a mystery.”

“For now, Jack. For now.” 

“Forever, Carter. Trust me on that.”

Comments

Popular Posts