Time Bomb Town - Chapter Ten

Wyatt pushed himself to his knees and spit blood. Dalton watched him, concerned. Midas was no where to be seen. The trap door was closed and the only light was from the dim bulb swinging overhead. 

Wyatt stared at his brother and father. “Where are we?”

“In the basement of a drug kingpin. It's like the tenth time you've asked that,” said Dalton.

“He's concussed, Dalton. Try to ignore him.”

“We need to get him to a hospital.”

“Well if you're right, Ziggy and your mother are on their way. Your mom will figure out who to call in the Bureau to ask for help without Fielding finding out...somehow...for your sakes, if not for mine.”

“Getting another signal from Ziggy. F.B.I. enroute. Twenty-five minutes.”

“Where...where are we? Dad? Why are you tied up? Why am I tied up?”

“We're playing a game, Wyatt. Try to be quiet.”

“What kind of game?”

“A quiet game.”

“I don't like that game,” Wyatt groaned. “My face hurts.”

“We should try to get free.” Dalton started to try and kick off his left boot.

“What now?”

Dalton grinned at his father. “Transmitters in the right boot. A hidden blade in the left,” He struggled to get his foot free from his boot. 

* * *

Out on the street, Ziggy's Mom's minivan sat under a street light. Inside, Beef, Ziggy and Alina waited, filled with apprehension. Suddenly, Ronni's Lexus pulled up next to them. Alina, in the passenger seat, rolled the windows down.

Agent Turner was all business. “Which house is it?”

They pointed it out, down the street at the end of the block.

“Has anyone come or gone since you called?”

“No one since they loaded the van and left,” said Beef.

“How long until the F.B.I. gets here now?” said Alina, worried.

“About twenty minutes give or take. Local police should be on their way as well. We just need to sit tight until they get here,” said Turner, “and hope they are still...okay by the time we get inside.”

“You...don't think...”

“Look, Midas is not just a bad guy. He's insane....But they're probably safe for another few minutes.” He looked at Ronni. She shook her head.

“That's not a chance I'm willing to take.” She pulled her gun out of her purse, checked the load and opened the car door, leaving the car parked in the middle of the street. She looked at Turner.

“Are you coming?”

Turner frowned. “It's risky.”

“Fine. Stay here,” Ronni made for the house. “After everything you've told me about this man, I'm not leaving my boys in there for another minute, much less twenty.”

“Stop. Get back in. Pull into the driveway,” Turner sighed and turned to the mini-van, speaking to the three inside it. “Stay right here until we come back or police arrive.”

Ronni got back in the car and started it up.

“Pull in the driveway like you own the place. Then we move fast. Stay behind me, covering me. Got it? And please don't shoot me,” Turner chambered a round into his pistol.

“This isn't the first time I've done this, Agent Turner. Just make sure you clear the corners. Got it?”

Turner laughed. “You're something else alright. I can see why Carter talked about you all the time.”

Veronica shot Turner a sharp glance, but he didn't notice. She gassed it down the street and pulled into the driveway. Turner got out, weapon drawn and made for the front door. Ronni was right behind him. Reaching the door, Turner kicked it in like a pro. He entered into darkness, followed close by Ronni.

* * *  

Midas was sitting at the computer terminal in the middle of the living room. The room had been nearly stripped of gear but the main terminal was still there, with all the wires snaking from the other rooms, right into it. When the door crashed open, Midas spun around in his swivel chair.

Turner screamed at him, “GET YOUR HANDS UP. GET THEM UP!”

Midas smiled and raised his hands. Turner glanced at Ronni. “Cover him while I check the house.”

“I got him,” she looked at Midas, “Where are my boys?”

Midas just grinned. Turner moved past them down the hallway. Just as he passed out of her peripheral vision, he turned and smashed the butt of his gun into the back of her head. Veronica Vance crumpled, unconscious.

Turner glared at her motionless form. “Bitch.”

Jones looked at Turner, annoyed. “Can I put my hands down now?”

“What?”

“You're late, Agent Turner.”

“I got tied up.”

“That's been happening far too much lately.”

“Don't start with me, Midas. My ass is on the line here, as much as yours.”

“I think you're in the clear now. Vance gave up the code to shut down his little 'timebomb'. His evidence will rot in the cloud for eternity after we blow them to bits.”

“I don't love the idea of that stuff sitting out there waiting to be found,” said Turner

“It's irrelevant. They'll think it's Carter. No one will even be looking for it.” Midas muttered at him.

“By the way, that Fielding phone call was a nice touch. Made sure this bitch had no one to call for help.”

“Thank you for noticing. I spliced it from the calls we tapped. That Ziggy kid was a little more sophisticated than I expected but he didn't pay attention to the details.”

“Hell, if I didn't know I was the mole, I would have believed it myself,” said Turner. “Speaking of Ziggy...” 

* * *

Waiting in the mini-van, Ziggy, Beef and Alina were getting tense. There was no movement, no sound coming from the house. Beef shifted in the driver's seat and cracked his knuckles nervously.

“Maybe I should go check it out.”

“Dude, the F.B.I. guy said to wait,” Ziggy was hanging over from the back seat, trying to see out the front window.

Alina peered worriedly at the darkened house. “I think Beef is right. It's been-”

Suddenly there was a rapping on the back window, startling them. It was Turner. He came up to Beef on the driver's side. “All right, boys and girls. We have everything under control. What I want you to do is pull into the driveway right next to Veronica Vance's car.”

“How is Dalton? Wyatt? Mr. Vance?” asked Alina.

“Everyone's fine. Now pull in. I want you to be safely out of the way when law enforcement arrives.”

Beef started up the mini-van.

Comments

Popular Posts